Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 26, 2013

McKinley's Jewel

                                                          www.melange-books.com  

For the last four hundred years, a story about missing gems pops up now and again but no one has ever been able to verify the story. When the laird goes missing, his personal assistant, Bonnie-Jean Russell wonders if the disappearance has anything to do with the legend. She doesn't have much time to get to the bottom of the mystery or discover if what's in her heart is the real thing.
 
 
“To more pleasant subjects,” Colette said, after taking a bite of her salad. “How is that handsome laird of yours? I hope he’s not working you too hard, what with the upcoming charity ball.”

“He’s not my laird, and no, he’s not working me too hard. There is one odd thing though,” she continued, a puzzled look on her features. Had it already been a week since he’d told her about his father’s loan? It seemed like only this morning they’d conversed about that and the ball. Shortly after he’d left for what he’d said would be a short business trip. Bonnie thought there might be a woman involved somewhere and he’d gone off to see her. No, somehow that didn’t feel right either. “He’s been away for several days now, and it isn’t like him to disappear just before an important event like the ball he’s hosting.”

“Did you report it to the police?”

“No, it could be a last minute business trip...he said as much but I think this time it’s more personal.  Sometimes he’s gone as long as a month. The police will just say it’s another one of those impromptu trips and he’s been too busy to keep in touch. The fact the timing is all wrong doesn’t matter to them.”

“Where did he go? Perhaps he’s been negotiating some sort of deal and it’s taking longer than he’d planned.”

“That’s my point. As his assistant, I always make his travel plans for him, and he lets me know where he’ll be in case I need to get in touch with him. This time…this trip wasn’t on his agenda. It’s as if he’s vanished into thin air. I can’t reach him on his cell phone. All my messages have gone to voice mail. I’m worried something’s happened to him.”

“I’m sure he can take care of himself. He never struck me as the helpless sort. Tell me about the ball. What do you have planned this year?” Colette changed the subject as if the laird were on a brief vacation and due home any minute.

“Candace actually came up with a good idea. She suggested a bachelor auction to raise more money. David is supposed to be one of the bachelors.”

“Who would have thought beneath all that red hair, there might actually be a brain.” Both women laughed at the comment then concentrated on finishing their lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment